1. What goes on when you sleep :
Your brain recharges --> Your cells repair themselves --> Your body releases important hormones
2. You need different amounts of sleep depending on your age :
Babies --> 16 hours
3~12 --> 10 hours
13~18 --> 10 hours
19~55 --> 8 hours
Over 65 --> 6 hours
3. Men have dreams about other men 70% of the time. But women dream about women and men equally.
4. We can only dream about faces we have already seen, whether we actively remember them or not.
5. Parasomnia is a type of sleep disorder that makes you do unnatural movements, despite being sleep.
Crimes committed on parasomnia include :
Sleep driving, Writing bad checks, Murder, Child molesting, Rape.
6. 12% of people dream only in black and white. This number use to be higher but since the advent of color television, more people dream in color than before.
7. Dreaming is normal. People who do not dream generally have personality disorders.
8. Sleep positions may determine your personality. The most common positions :
a. Fetal (41%) - People are gruff initially, but have warm and open hearts.
b. Log (15%) - Social butterflies.
c. The Yearner (13%) - Perceived as open, but truly suspicious.
d. Soldier (8%) - Reserved.
e. Freefall (7%) - Fun and fantastic at parties.
f. Starfish (5%) - Excellent listeners.
9. 1 in 4 married couples sleep in separate beds.
10. British soldiers were the first to develop a method in staying up 36 hours without sleep. When fatigued, they put on special visors that emulated the brightness of a sunrise and it woke them up.
11. Longest sleeping mammals :
22 hours a day - Koalas
19.9 hours a day - Brown bat
18 hours a day - Pangolins
Shortest sleeping mammals :
1.9 hours a day (in 5~10 minute sessions) - Giraffes
3.09 hours a day - Roe deer
3.1 hours a day - Asiantic elephant
12. When dolphins sleep, only half of their brain shuts down. The other half stays awake to help with breathing cycles.
13. You'll die from sleep deprivation before food deprevation. It takes 2 weeks to starve, but 10 days without sleep can kill you.
14. Blind people can still see images in dreams. Those born blind experience dreams involving emotion, sound, smell, and touch instead of sight.
15. Within 5 minutes of waking up, 50% of your dream is forgotten. Within 10 minutes, 90% is gone.
16. 1 out of 50 teenagers still wet their beds.